Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Christmas Gift: Ch 4

Ch 4

Things happen when you least expect it to. That is exactly how life itself works. Nothing seems to go as we plan, and therefore, as human beings we become flexible in order to adapt ourselves to the new and unexpected situations that are presented to us. But, if unexpected things are expected to happen, then how are they even considered unexpected anymore?

=

Ron finally broke out of their kiss, though deep down he longed for it to be extended, maybe until forever...but no, he couldn’t this...at least not now...

Ron: I sometimes wish that we were still back in Italy...we would still be together...

Linda: We could be together now...

Ron shook his head: It’s not the same...you may think of me as a typical guy who cares more about his pride than anything...and that’s ok...because honestly...I’m not suited for you now...but one day I will be...

Linda: I already told you so many times before...I don’t care

Ron: I do...anyways...I think we’re both a little distracted because of the mistletoe...

He walked away from her as they got in...and she found him drifting towards the group of designers that worked in the same department as Leila. She was glad that he was fitting in...but she knew that he didn’t want the others to know that he was associated with her...well...at least not now.

Linda continued to walk until she heard someone call her name...it was him...again.

Linda: Hi Bosco...

Bosco: You didn’t call...or was it me that was supposed to call?

Linda: I don’t remember either...o well...

Bosco: Well...that doesn’t matter does it? I think you weren’t thinking straight that day...so I forgive you

Linda: What? Forgive me?

Bosco smiled and nodded: As the nice guy I am...I forgive you for saying such idiotic things

Linda laughed: You got to be kidding me...what I said that day was not only logical but also true...

Bosco laughed: Oh...who in their right mind would date a poor guy? I remember you told Tavia that day you wouldn’t be caught dead being with a guy who couldn’t afford a car...and then the next day you told me that you would...are you pmsing?

Linda: What?

Bosco: well...you’re obviously having mood swings

Linda: maybe I just thought things through...

Bosco: Thought things through?

Linda: Yes...I would rather be a guy that is sensible and has great ambitions but is poor than a guy like you...a daddy’s boy

Bosco: Excuse me?

Linda: No offence Bosco, even if you’re good looking, you’re rich and you’re the future CEO of a multi-billionaire company...I wouldn’t marry you...

Bosco: You must be out of your mind!

Linda: Actually...I’m not. You’re too arrogant, and it sickens me. You think your wealth is everything, but really it’s not...you have no ambition, you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you don’t understand the hardship that someone has to go through to have what you have...and so you wouldn’t know how to cherish things that you have...and that would include the unlucky woman that will one day marry you

Bosco: Unlucky? Well...it’s a shame that you don’t know how to cherish me...like you should...you’re the unlucky one. It’s obvious that any woman who will marry me will live a life of luxury...

Linda smiled: A life of luxury...do you really think that’s all women in general want? You’re the one who deserves to be pitied...especially with your very shallow understanding...

Bosco: I will consider this conversation over...I don’t want to ruin my mood by continuing this very idiotic conversation with you...you know what? You changed...you changed a lot...you were never like this before you went to Italy...uncle made a horrific decision by letting you go study abroad by yourself like that...picking up such odd and stupid perspectives on life

Linda: First of all...my perspectives on life are not odd or stupid but is different than your narrow minded perspectives on things...and second of all...I’ve changed for the better...

Bosco: I don’t think so...I prefer the old you...you wouldn’t over complicate the things I say...and would be satisfied when I would buy you a limited edition handbag

Linda: We were the same type of person back then...but we’re not anymore...we’re completely different people...which make us incompatible...

Bosco: Whatever...I’m tired of talking to you...you have too much to say...you know...I would prefer it if you were to shut up and look beautiful...

Linda decided that she would walk away from him than continue this ridiculous and endless bickering...it was funny...this bickering was never the same as the one she had with Ron when they were still in Italy...

~Flashback~

It was autumn, the start of their third year...and of course it was also going to be the start of their blossoming relationship.

Ron just came back from the gym, sweat dripping down his face, and it looked as though he had injured himself. He walked slowly over to one of the benches and sat there looking at his injured wrist. He must’ve somehow injured it when he was playing squash. The pain in his right hand was throbbing as he sat there, took out and ice pack to help numb the pain. As he was doing so, he noticed someone handing him a towel...

Ron looked up to see a smiling Linda looking at him

Linda: Here...

Ron didn’t take the towel for both of his uninjured hand was now holding onto the ice pack to help numb the pain on his injured hand.

Seeing that he didn’t seem to take her towel...she took the initiative to wipe the sweat off of his forehead

Ron: It’s ok...you don’t have to do this...it’s kind of awkward

Linda: Awkward?

Ron: Ya...like...we’re just friends right...and you’re taking care of me like there’s something more going on between us...so it’s awkward

Linda: Just friends?

Ron: Well ya...wait...we ARE friends right?

Linda didn’t understand how stupid, or was it naive that he could possibly be and how he could not realize that she had a crush on him...

Linda: We are friends...

Ron: So...

Linda: Friends should take care of one another...

Ron: well...I don’t know about that...you know...it’s been weird...with you always around taking care of me and all...even coming into my place cleaning after me...

Linda: What’s wrong with that?

Ron: Well...it’s awkward...

Linda: Can’t I do something nice for my friend

Ron: Well ya...but don’t you think you’ve done a bit too much?

Linda: Is this what I get for my gratitude?

Ron: I didn’t mean it that way...it’s just that...you’ve done just a bit too much for me...

Linda: Fine...I’ll leave you alone from now on then Ron Ng

Ron: You’re being so unreasonable...it’s not that I’m not thankful for the things you’ve done for me...since...I’m obviously very thankful that you’re doing so much for this friend...but don’t you think you’ve done a bit too much? Aren’t you afraid your boyfriend would get jealous or something?

Linda: Boyfriend?

Ron: Ya...your boyfriend...well...I would assume you have a boyfriend, since a pretty girl like you...there would be a line up of guys who would try to win your heart right?

Linda blushed: First you tell me that you don’t want me around...and now you’re complimenting me?

Ron: I never said I didn’t want you around...I’m quite lucky to have you around...

Linda: Wouldn’t you want me to only be around you then?

Ron: What?

She couldn’t believe that he still didn’t seem to understand what she was trying to get at...

Linda: Fine...pretend to not understand...and I’ll pretend that we’re not really friends

Ron: huh? What did I do now?

As she was walking away he quickly stood up and grabbed a hold of her hand with his right hand which was throbbing...and so he quickly had to let go of her hand and now in even greater pain for putting pressure in his right hand

Linda: What happened?

Ron: nothing...

Linda: You’re wrist is swollen...and you say it’s nothing...

Ron: I’m fine...

Linda: No you’re not. Now sit down...and let me ice it for you

Ron smiled: Women are complicated...first you tell me you’re gonna pretend we’re not friends and now you’re taking care of me again...

Linda: I can’t believe you don’t get it

Ron looked at her confused: Get what?

Linda: Why would I spend all my time being around you, cleaning up after you? There’s obviously a reason...and the only logical and illogical reason would be because I...

Before she could even continue her face had already reddened

Ron: Thanks...for everything...

The next thing she knew she was in his arms as he embraced her...she felt her heart racing, her face was probably like a cherry now...

Ron: My parents always taught me to cherish what I have in front of me...I took you for granted...and when you walked away and told me that you were going to pretend that we’re not friends...that’s when it hit me...I don’t want us to be just friends anymore...cause...I think I’ve fallen in love with you...and now that I think about it...I think you feel the same way for me...or is that just my silly thought...Linda...I love you

He finally let go of her and looked at her face that was flushed red...and she couldn’t seem to say a word. She couldn’t even look straight into his eyes...for she knew what he said was true...finally she decided to speak

Linda: I love you too...

~End of Flashback~

No comments:

Post a Comment