Friday, May 27, 2011

The Christmas Gift: Ch 2

Michelle: So what is my lovely son going to wear to his interview tomorrow?

Ron: I haven’t decided yet...but I will...

Michelle smiled: And I know you’ll make a very good decision...after all, you’re a wonderful designer

Ron smiled: Well...I’ll leave you alone to cook this sumptuous meal...while I go back to my room and look for the perfect outfit for tomorrow’s interview

With that he walked back into his room and opened up his closet, staring blankly at the many suits that he owns. Even though his family isn’t financially well off, Ron did make enough money for him to provide that image for himself, for he believed that people are truly shallow human beings. Humans continuously judge books by their covers even if, the saying goes that one should not judge a book by its cover.

He ran his finger through his collection of various suits and ties, and stopped when his finger touched a blue tie. The smile that was on his face when he came into the room had disappeared...this tie was a very special one...

~Flashback~

It was Christmas Eve and as a class of only about 35 students, they decided to throw a party and of course to uphold the seasonal spirit have a Secret Santa going on. But, instead of buying the person a gift, each student had to design something that they thought would suit the wearer. On the day of the party as the gifts were being opened Ron had found himself opening a very thin box and inside it was a tie.

At first glance it seemed to be quite a normal looking tie, probably one that he could buy at any store, but as he placed his hand on the material itself, he felt that the intricate design was woven into the fabric. He carefully looked at the tie once again under the light and to his amazement the design was clearly shown. He smiled happily at his gift from his Secret Santa as he watched the others open theirs.

As he continued to do so he felt someone tap his shoulder and immediately turned around. It was Linda.

Linda: You seem like you really like the gift

Ron: It’s very lovely...and I do wonder who was the genius behind such a wonderful design

Linda blushed slightly at his complement, which revealed to him that she was the one

Ron: Oh...so it was you...I’m pretty sure you spent quite a lot of time, designing and picking out the right fabric and all...thanks

Linda smiled: No problem...I’m glad you like it...

Ron: Of course I do...it was designed by such a wonderful designer...maybe one day, when you become famous...it’ll be one of those collectable items...

Linda: You think so?

Ron: If you always put so much thought into your piece of work...then why not?

She smiled at him and walked away...

~End of flashback~

This was the very first gift he had received from her, and to him it was ultimately the best gift that she had ever given him. He was not much of a materialistic guy, so he appreciated such things even more, even though he believes his appearance does matter. Sometimes he wondered what would happen if he had found out about her background before...would he have fallen so deeply in love with her. But the fact was that he was honest with her from the moment they started to go out...he told her that he came from a poor family, but he loved her and will do all that it takes for him to make a name for himself and provide her with the life she deserves. Whether or not she believed in his words at the moment was questionable...but he meant every word he said...and till this day, still would like to fulfill what he had set out to do.

After about an hour his father came home and Ron walked out of his room to greet him.

Ron: How was work dad?

Ron’s Dad (Michael): It was ok I guess...pretty busy, all these people trying to do some last minute Christmas shopping and all...

Ron smiled: So that’s good?

Michael: Of course it’s good...but it could’ve been better...(he leaned in closer to his son and whispered) I wasn’t able to give any pretty OLs any rides...it was all of those old housewives...

Michelle: What did you say honey?

Michael laughed: Oh nothing...well, I was telling our son here how my wife is the most beautiful house wife I’ve ever seen

Michelle walked out of the kitchen: Is that right?

Michael: Look at you...you barely look like you’re in your forties...and to think you’re in your fifties is outrageous!

Michelle smiled at her husband’s flattery: So this is where our son picks up his sweet talking technique

Ron: well...I guess I should say both good looks and charisma runs in the family

Michelle: Did you tell your dad about your interview tomorrow yet?

Michael: Interview? What interview?

Ron: With Dynasty Corp...at noon tomorrow

Michael: That’s fantastic...how about I give you a ride?

Michelle: That sounds like a great plan...

Ron smiled and nodded obediently to his parents’ idea

~Next day~

Ron wore a grey suit, light pink shirt and no tie. He wanted the interviewer to get the image that he was more of the casual person, and his designs are meant for both appeal in appearance as well as comfort. He walked out of his room with his portfolio in his hand and took the elevator down to the ground floor where he saw his dad standing there waiting anxiously.

Michael: It’s quarter past eleven already...we should get going

Ron: Sure...

His father led the way out to the parked taxi and he drove his son off to the interview. When they got there, as Ron was about to get off the taxi Michael turned around and looked at his son... as he took something out of his jacket pocket.

Michael smiled: Your mom told me to give you a red envelope for good luck

Ron: Thanks dad...

Michael: I think you’ll do fine...you look quite sharp today...well...you‘re always very sharp looking...since...you inherited such good looks from your father.

Ron chuckled: Of course...and I also inherited your charming personality

Michael laughed: That’s my boy...well...you better get going before you’re late

Ron: It’s only quarter to twelve...

Michael: So go...

Ron: Bye dad

Michael: Good luck!

With that Ron got out of the taxi and walked straight towards the 20 storey office building that was entirely owned by Dynasty Corp. His fear of meeting Linda had slowly diminished as he saw the vast number of people walking in and out of the building...

As he got inside, he ran towards the elevator that was about to close and walked in without looking at who was inside. From the reflection of the metal on the inside of the elevator he could see that Linda was there. Before losing his mind, he had pressed the number 15 to get to the 15th floor.

He turned around to look at her to only realize that they were the only two in there. There was a bright smile on her face seeing him...

Linda: Ron...

Ron: Hi...

Linda: You’re here for an interview?

Ron nodded without saying a word...for words couldn’t seem to escape his own mouth...

Linda smiled: I remember you telling me how you’ve always wanted to work here...and now your dream can become your reality

Ron turned around to actually face her: I hope this dream is fulfilled because I’m a capable young designer and not because my ex-girlfriend’s father owns this company

Linda: Don’t worry about that...I have nothing to do with this interview...and besides I’ve never actually told...

Ron snickered: Oh...I forgot...you wouldn’t have told your parents you were dating such a guy to begin with...that was...silly of me...

Before Linda could respond to his remark he had already arrived at the 15th floor and walked out. He approached the front desk where a pretty young lady was sitting at and smiled at her before telling her why he was actually there.

Lady: How may I help you?

Ron: I’m Ron Ng, here for an interview for a position as a designer

Lady: Oh...ok...well our manager will be with you in a bit...you just sit and wait...or you could stand here and have a chat with me

Ron smiled: I’d love to stand here and talk to such a lovely young lady like you

She slightly blushed and smiled: I’m Shirley by the way

Ron: I think it’s my lucky day...meeting such a beautiful young lady at this time of day

Before she could say anything the phone on her desk started ringing and she immediately picked up. Ron didn’t bother listening onto her conversation for he was just not that type...moments later as she hung up the phone she started to talk to him again...

Shirley: Our manager can see you now...let me walk you into our conference room

Ron: Thanks

He followed her to the conference room and took a seat around the large circular table as he sat there waiting, he placed his portfolio onto the table. The door of the conference room slowly opened as a young lady walked in, she looked as though she was younger than him, and he was amazed that she had already held such a position.

She took a seat directly across from him and a smile had appeared on her face. She extended her hand to greet him...

Lady: Hi, you must be Ron Ng...And I’m Leila Tong...manager of this department

Ron smiled: Nice to meet you

Leila: Your resume and letter of recommendation were quite impressive so I just had to meet you in person before deciding whether or not you should be hired at our company

Ron nodded

Leila: I can tell that you brought along your portfolio...may I take a look?

Ron: Of course

He handed her his portfolio of designs as she flipped through the pages one by one, trying to absorb his personal style and contemplating on whether or not he would be suited working at such a company

Leila smiled: I’m actually quite satisfied with your work...I could almost say...some of it looks much more decent than my own designs

Ron didn’t know what else to say but ‘Thank you’

Leila smiled: Not only do you seem to be quite the designer...but you’re also quite modest...unlike the others I interviewed before. Especially those who are men...I’m not trying to be judgemental or anything, but it seems as though men think that they are better than women at almost everything

Ron smiled: Well...I don’t think so...during my years in Italy, I’ve met far too many great designers and talents of all kind who are women to even try to fool myself that such a thing exists...

Leila nodded: We should all learn from experience...and I think I shouldn’t say that men think that they’re better than women at almost everything...since you’re an exception, and so what I said before must not apply

Ron: But men and women are different...aren’t we? And hopefully I’m not sounding too judgemental myself...but women generally don’t seem to understand how a man thinks...the way he acts, the things he say...women believe that men speak their mind...when the fact is...both men and women have things they’d prefer not to share with the other...oh...I think I’m saying a bit too much...

Leila laughed: It’s ok...I like those who share their opinions...and express themselves...it’s what we designers do, isn’t it? We express ourselves...we’re artists...just like painters and musicians...

Ron smiled: I’d like to think of it that way...

Leila smiled and looked at her diamond encrusted watch: I think the interview is over now...it was my pleasure to meet you in person...and it would be an even greater pleasure to have you work here with everyone...

Ron reached out his hand: Thank you...thank you so much for the opportunity...I won’t let you down Ms. Tong

Leila smiled: Formality is not necessary...we’re all equal here, if not in position, then in talent...so you can call me Leila...

Ron: Well then, thank you Leila...

Leila: when do you think you’ll be able to start?

Ron: Doesn’t that depend?

Leila smiled: I guess it does...the holiday break is coming up...our company will have a week off, and hold our annual Christmas ball...it would be nice if you could join us that day...if you don’t mind...it’s being held on the 23rd ....

===

hope you enjoyed it. remember to comment =D

No comments:

Post a Comment